Hockey Nets: Art Ross
Art Ross Hockey Net
The Art Ross hockey net is a B-shaped goal net
designed by Art Ross. The shape of the hockey goal net greatly reduces
dangerous rebounds coming from behind the net.
The NHL used the Art Ross style of hockey goal nets from 1927 to
1984. The NHL now uses a modified version of the Art Ross hockey goal
net. See NHL Hockey Goal Nets for more information.
The Art Ross Hockey Net carries the same width dimension as the current
regulation nets. The opening is 6 feet by 4 feet. The base depth is 44
inches, while the deepest parts of the top shelf extend to 24 inches.
Since the back curves in a 'B' shape, the hockey net itself is
specialized in design.
Replacement nets are sold in two pieces to
accommodate the shape, which may be why the NHL moved to the modified
Arthur Howey "Art" Ross invented the "Art Ross" hockey net. He also improved the hockey puck and did much more for the sport of hockey.
- was an executive for Canadian ice hockey
- was a defenseman for the National Hockey League (NHL)
- was a defenseman for the National Hockey Association (NHA)
- served as either coach or manager of the Boston Bruins between 1924 and 1954
- was the first to support hockey pucks which were made of synthetic rubber instead of natural rubber
- improved the design of the puck, adding beveled edges. This reduced bouncing.
- helped to create the red line, therefore speeding up the game
- donated the Art Ross Trophy to the NHL
- was one of the first 12 inductees into the Hockey Hall of Fame
- was inducted into the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame in 1975
- died at the age of 78 in Medford, Massachusetts, USA in 1964
Free Periodical mybackyardicerink
Online Rink Magazine (E-zine)
Please subscribe to my online rink magazine, mybackyardicerink.
Keep up to date with the latest information on My Backyard Ice Rink!
people have commented on this site so far...
You Might Like These Related Pages:
Save those pucks! Protective hockey rink netting is the safety barrier that keeps pucks out of your neighbour's yard! Choose from the best styles.
Netting installation kits to install our protective hockey rink netting easily and neatly, allowing the netting to suspend with no “lag” between support posts.
Enhance your backyard ice rink hockey games with an ice hockey net or two. Learn about different types of hockey goalie nets and see which are best.
Art Ross Hockey Net